Congratulations to Conahy Vintage Club, who have won this year’s All-Ireland Scarecrow Championship, with their stunning creation “King Kong”.
The monstrous installation has wowed the crowds at Durrow Scarecrow Festival 2017, and has ensured that for the 3rd year in succession, Conahy Vintage Club, claim the prestigious All-Ireland title. The results were announced shortly after 4pm today, and though nothing is ever a given when the judges come to deliberate, there was little surprise, and much joy when King Kong emerged as the overall winner!
From all at Durrow Scarecrow Festival, we extend to Conahy Vintage Club, both our gratitude for such an amazing entry, and of course our utmost congratulations for your well deserved success! King Kong has thrilled and fascinated both young and old, during the festival, and was always the crowd favourite and a very worthy winner!
Let the celebrations begin!
We will list all winners from all categories as soon as possible, but for now, one more time – Congratulations to Conahy Vintage Club, and the amazing King Kong!
Below is a full list of all categories and winners from this year’s Durrow Scarecrow Festival. We will try to bring you a full list with photographs as soon as we possibly can.
Meanwhile our thanks to all entrants this year – your creativity never ceases to amaze us, and our heartiest congratulations to all of this year’s winners!
The Greatest Show on Earth Conahy Vintage Group
1. Despicable Me 1, 2 & 3 Marlena & Sophie Tobin 2. Strawerina Ballerina Ellis Family 3. Cliodhna Queen of the Banshees Yarn Bombing Mountmellick
1. Scarecrow Sleeping Beauty Marie Moylan 2. Waiting since Christmas for the Scarecrow Festival Laois Kayak & Canoe Club
3. Reeling in the EARS Irene Phelan
1. Bee Keeping Rose Woods & Kathleen Flynn 2. Blaze Durrow Fire & Rescue 3. Donald Trump Noah & Brenda Murphy
1. Beautiful Mini Beasts St. Laserians School, Carlow 2. An Enchanted School Scoil Tighearnach Naofia, Cullohill, Co Laois 3. Hansel & Gretel Happy Days Creche
1. Pirates of the Caribbean 3rd Laois Durrow Scouts 2. Ms Bandy Legs Margaret Doyle 3. Drink it in Maaaaan! says Buff Roisin Phelan Joint 4th. Trumps Bad Hay Day John Paul Murphy Joint 4th. Buddy Bench Ciaran & Cormac Flynn
1. I’m Worn Out Glen Stanley 2. What a Catch Ballyragget Scouts 3. Bertie Bassett Conor Moore
1. Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory Val Delahunty and Martina Cooney 2. Renewal Tree Huggers Rose Woods 3. The Great Escape Midlands Prison 4. The Corpse Bride Niamh, Hannah & Eabha Woods 5. Durrow Scarecrow Fairy Village Enda & Frankie Carroll 6. Harry Potter Margaret Conroy
Well, there was no surprise, and indeed no argument when Conahy Vintage Club and their amazing creation “King Kong” won this year’s All-Ireland Scarecrow Championship, for the third year in succession.
In 2016 they won with Noah’s Ark and 2015 saw their amazing Dinosaur creation take the prize! The big question is – can anyone rise to the feat of challenging Conahy Vintage Club for the title next year?
I spoke with club member Michael Bergin, on the night their victory was announced, and he admitted that the Conahy team would relish the prospect! He told me how just a few weeks before the festival, a rumour had reached them, that they had a serious contender to deal with, as a rival group were working on another massive installation. It never actually transpired, but he said the prospect that it might have, spurred them on, to ensure that King Kong, would be as ‘good as it could be’.
That is not to say that they did not feel threatened by some of this year’s other entries, as he admitted the level of creativeness just gets better year by year.
And speaking of creativeness, King Kong was simply stunning. The monster itself was constructed at a ‘secret location’ by the group who possess and combine a wide range of talents, which culminate in their wonderful installations. I was told that the biggest problem the team faced was not during the making of Kong, but in moving him by road, from their base to the festival site in Durrow. In the end it took a Garda escort to safely shepherd the convoy of gorilla sections into town, and for nine days King Kong graced Durrow Scarecrow Festival 2017, and wowed the huge crowds that attended.
THE DURROW SCARECROW festival finished up yesterday. For one week only, the village in Laois was covered with various scarecrow creations from people all over the country and it looked like serious craic. They were all absolutely brilliant. This massive King Kong by Conahy Vintage Club took the main prize, and it’s pretty impressive! DailyEdge.ie
So once again well done to all at Conahy Vintage Club, and we really cannot wait to see what next year brings!!!!!